Tips for Hospital Trips!

Only 1 full day left before I finally get my feeding tube. I have had no bad news from the hospital saying it's been cancelled or anything to suggest that it won't finally go ahead.  I have been packing my bag and thought it might be useful to post a list of essential hospital packing.

I won't go through the usual stuff like toiletries and nightwear, we all know that...but here are a few extra things that may help.

MP3 player
Laptop (and mobile dongle!!)
Warm blanket (so you can have a little piece of home with you!)
Scissors (always handy!)
Surgical tape (for those pesky tubes and cannulas)
DAY Clothes (so you can feel a bit less intimidated when the Dr comes round, plus it helps you feel human again! But be sensible and choose easy loose clothing)
Lip balm
Hair clips/Alice band (you never know how long it will be before you can wash your hair!!!!)
Sweets (For the nurses, they will come and talk to you more lol)
Cotton buds
Perfume... but don't take your favourite one, it will forever remind you of hospitals after!

If you are on an NG or NJ tube:

Soda water (to clear blockages, they never have any on the ward)
Throat lozenges (it always takes a day or so for your throat to settle into a new tube)

Quite a list I know but if you do it right you can fit all that into one medium rucksack which will fit into most hospital lockers....and oooh Don't forget your toothbrush lol!




Comments

  1. Good luck, hope it all goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can I also suggest perfume? Hospital wards, especially gastroenterology tend to stink a bit and it's amazing how much more attractive you feel with a squirt of nice fragrance. Don't take your favourite though or you may end up associating it with your hospital stay! Wishing you all the best for tomorrow honey. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, I know this sounds really vain but I take a small mounted mirror with me and some cotton buds to clean around the tube - you can do this in bed rather than cart your feed pump and pole all the way to the bathroom! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey guys!

    Both great tips to add to the list thanks Ziggy! I also take the second best perfume after making that mistake lol

    Thanks misspiggy, thats so sweet! I'll be back before you know it xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like to take my own pillow and a few furry friends
    Greenie
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, it's great to have something to cuddle!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have one of those pillow pets, so it doubles as a pillow and the option of cuddling it if you're not brave enough to take a teddy bear;-) It is hard going into hospital though so it's good to have your things with you. Mirror is a good one too, when I was in for a while, the thing I missed which I hadn't thought of was tweezers or a razor. Very annoying. Here we're not allowed laptops:(( infact some wards are even stuff about iPhone..even if you protest it's only for music and to use with headphones! My pillowpet is my number 1 though xx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi please post comments below, I love to hear from my readers so don't be shy X

Popular posts from this blog

Gastroparesis, EDS & the Final Piece of the Jigsaw Part #3 / Cranio-cervical Instability!

Gastroparesis, EDS, & the final piece of the jigsaw #Part 2

Gastroparesis the Truth