Hospital update

Saturday 20th April 2012 well I'm still here and still none the wiser as to what happening.My GI was held up last week so I haven't seen him yet. all the other doctors just take a quick look at my notes and hold their hands up saying "we'll leave it to your consultant" so I'm just sat waiting for Monday to come round so I can find out what they are going to do with me. So far I've been stabbed a total of 13 times for the sake of 4 cannulas....lovely! Then they left me all day with no fluids because no one had written any on my chart...because I don't have a ward team and it got overlooked! so my mum told em straight AGAIN lol. So at least I'm getting fluids again now and also some pabrinex, which has put some more colour in my cheeks! My feed is running at 13mls an hour over 24hrs. They were going to try a more concentrated feed which has 2kcal/ml but they decided against it because it has less fluid content and doesn't contain as much protein as the one I'm currently using. So no great ideas there either I'm afraid. I can see this being a long drawn out stay and I'm bored already. I miss my kids so much but hubby won't bring them today because my daughter has caught a cold and he doesn't want her to pass it on. I was gutted when he said that! I love my kids and being apart from them so much really hurts. I just wish I could go back to my old life! I've been doing my bit to keep the side up though and have successfully mastered the art of pushing my wheelchair with my drippstand between my knees...it was going well until they complicated things even more be putting my new cannula in my thumb, making it VERY hard to propell the wheels....but I'm doing it anyway, pain or no pain! I like to get outside and feel the fresh air! I had a panick the other night when my Internet went down, totally over reacted and was in floods of tears at the thought of having nothing to occupy my mind! I know part of it was because I feel so I'll anyway but little things like that make a big difference when you are miles away from your family and friends. I so wish the hospital was closer to home! Anyhow, I'll update you all on Monday as soon as I know anything concrete.

Comments

  1. Hiya babes,
    what can I say it sucks big time.
    Thinking of you
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya Nat , I feel for you so much. I wish I could do more to support you and so wish I lived close enough to visit you and give u a big hug.
    I was really tearful when I was in Hospital this time and lost it over things that would not usually bother me so totally understand why u are the same.
    I lost it several times , one time being that they had sent me down to Theatre for a nerve block on my left leg to help with my Pain due to having CRPS. This effects the nerves and blood supply in that leg and is very painful and difficult to cope with without this Treatment.
    I usually have it about every 6 Weeks under Sedation as it is to Painful to be done awake.
    For the Procedure they have to put a IV Line in to my Left Foot.
    They had the Paediatric Lines as they are use to my non Exsistent Viens but after 5 Attempts there was no where else for them to go and the procedure had to be abondoned. I had even been given the start of the Anesthetic.
    I had been counting down the Days to having it done as due to my Consultant being away I had already waited more than double the amount of time since my last block and the Pain in that Leg is just so nasty.
    I was so Devestated because he is not around again for a few weeks and it will be at least a Month before they can reschedule me back in.
    I was so upset as I just wanted some relief from one of my many problems and I could not even have that.

    The Nurses sent for one of the Docters on my Team to try and calm me down and this junior Docter arrived that I had not met before.
    She was really very nice and said that in Medical School one of the first things she learned was that when a Paitient is so Starved they become what is referred to as Hangry. Basically she explained that this is where your body becomes so starved u become tearful and angry at the slightest thing that woul not normally bother u and u become what they call Hangry due to being so starved.
    Your ability to deal with things rationally becomes a lot harder.
    At the time I could not give a Sh** what she was saying but now I really appreciate that she took the time to explain this all to me so I now understand why I react differently to things than I normally would.
    Hope that helps u understand your emotions better too.
    I am so upset for u that u did not get that big hug you had been craving for so long from your little girl.
    Just keep telling yoursel that soon u will be able to have as many Hugs as you want.
    They need to come up with a plan so u can be @ home with your Family where u belong.
    There must be something that can be done for us both if we are not tolerating out feed.
    Of course there is TPN but my Docters are very reluctant and tell me I can,t go home on IV Treatment wich I know is a load of crap as I had a Picc line at home last year for IV Antibiotics for about 3 months.
    There must be a halfway point between Jej feeding and full TPN.
    Even if it meant having IV Vitamins and Minerals and some IV Nutrients once a week as a DayvPatient or something if they will not fund anything at home at the moment to just try and keep things ticking over untill a better plan is made so we can stay out of Hospital most of the time and be where we belong.
    I am scared for both of us if they leave us as we are as we are not getting in enough to live of long term and our immune systems are going to become severely compromised.
    I hope u are sorted out ASAP so u can be at home.
    Always in my thoughts are u as you have supported me more than my own Family in the short time I have known you. You , me Shaun , and the others are like one little extended Family and we need to lean on each other to get through this Nightmare.
    I am always here for u if u want a shoulder.
    Love and hugs as always.
    Vicky
    Xx Xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Vicky, I know a gastroenterologist in London who is trying to pilot pretty much what you suggest. Apparently it's really tricky organising it because of the bureaucracy and the different services that have to work together. But maybe in time it'll become established...

    So sorry that both of you have to put up with all of this, thanks for sharing what you're going through and hope things perk up soon.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Hi please post comments below, I love to hear from my readers so don't be shy X

Popular posts from this blog

Gastroparesis, EDS & the Final Piece of the Jigsaw Part #3 / Cranio-cervical Instability!

Gastroparesis, EDS, & the final piece of the jigsaw #Part 2

Gastroparesis the Truth