My Surreal Weekend In Hospital

Oooh it's been a rough ride since last time I wrote my diary.

Where to start?

Well.... I have been getting a lot of pain in my abdomen where my feeding jejunostomy is placed. On Friday (20th Jan) I visited my GP about the pain once again, because it was getting more severe as the days went on. I was unlucky because I ended up having to see a locum who didn't know anything about me. He prodded on poked my tummy, which made the pain even worse. Then he said, he had no idea what to do for me and I should phone my GI when I got home to try and get in to see him sooner than planned. I knew I had to get help soon because I was in constant pain all over my abdomen by the time I got home.

I rang my GI's secretary, who was lovely as usual and told me she would ask him to ring me back as soon as possible. He called me later that afternoon. After explaining the problem he said that he could arrange to see me on Monday because he would be able to organise and co-ordinate everything before I went through. He asked how I would feel if my pain got worse and I had to go to A&E.... as most of my regular readers know, I HATE A&E because they never know anything about GP. It's not a common problem. This always leads to hours and hours of waiting around to be told that your blood is o.k and you've had some pain meds so now you can go home. My GI understood me when I said I probably wouldn't go even if I needed to, so he said he would call me back after he had made some enquiries. I got a call from the surgical member of his team a little while later. He had arranged for me to be admitted to hospital for some further tests.

It's a very long drive from my house and when you're in pain it seems to take forever. You feel every single bump in the road. I was pretty exhausted by the time we got there at 6pm. I got settled into my bed  and hubby left me to go and collect the kids, who had been dumped on grandma at the last minute (again). I felt so bad leaving them, my daughter was in floods of tears that I was going to hospital and leaving her again. The guilt was horrendous.

The nurse who admitted me did the usual thing...Gasto what? Ehlers...how do you spell that? But I'm used to that now and have some great one line comebacks.... I'll post them on here someday!

I spent much of the night vomiting copious amounts of bile. Normally I throw up a bit of acid and then dry heave for the rest of the time. This was different and I knew there was something new going on. On Saturday I went for down for an ultrasound scan, for which I thought they were investigating my tube site. It was the fastest ultrasound I've ever had... and I've had several! He barely looked at my tube site at all and then sent me back to the ward. I didn't know what to make of it at the time, was it a good thing...there is nothing wrong... or is it something so obvious he didn't need to look any further?

I slept...and slept... and slept some more. They had... for once, managed to balance my pain meds enough for me to get some real sleep for the first time in months!

On Monday morning I met my new surgical consultant. He was really lovely and I think he will look after me well. It turns out he had been to see me on Sunday but I was asleep so he didn't wake me. If I hadn't been laying in bed at the time I would have fallen over at what he said next. It turns out that I now have one huge gallstone sitting in my gall bladder.

Right back at the start of all my problems I was convinced it was gallstones that was causing the problem
but after 5 ultrasounds, an MRCP and HIDA scan they were ruled out more than once. So It seemed like a VERY strange coincidence that I now suddenly have a huge gallstone sitting there, clear as a bell.

Now... normally it is fairly simple to remove the gallbladder with keyhole surgery. However, I have the jej tube and pacer (gastricneurostimulator) wires in the way. So my only choice is to have another open surgery. I'm not even over the last one yet and now they are talking about more. I'm not liking the sound of this at all. He went on to say that the pain in my tube site is likely to be adhesion's from the surgery and there isn't really anything they can do about that. I've just been really unlucky I guess. It does not help me feel any better to know that because I know I'm not going to get rid of that pain... at least not for a long while. Anyway, he said that he would ask my GI to come and see me before going home, but I could go after that. At least now I had some better pain medication to get me through.

My GI came late in the afternoon. He is very disappointed about the whole situation because now I have adhesion's from my first op, I am more likely to get them again with another surgery. He did reassure me that I had the best man for the job in my new surgeon. That's good to know, however I would rather not have to go down this road at all!

As per usual, it was kind of a bad time to go home from hospital because the pharmacy was closed by the time it was confirmed I could leave. So I asked my mum to phone my GP for a fax number so we could arrange for me to collect my oramorph first thing today. The hospital offered to let me stay in overnight until they could dispense it themselves but foolishly I just wanted to be home in my own bed. I trusted that everything would go as planned so why stay? I needed to see my daughter and reassure her that I was going to be o.k.

My hubby went to get my meds this morning, only to be told that they had not received anything at all from the hospital so they couldn't dispense anything. Aaarrrggghhhh! So I have spent the whole day in agony, ringing back and forth between the hospital and the doctors surgery. It got to 4pm and we still hadn't heard anything back. My mum had to go down and get them to ask the GP to just do the script himself so I could get some relief! It worked lol and they soon got it made up for me. However, they still need ME to chase the hospital for them to fax the script through....erm...why does the patient have to do that? Shouldn't that be their job? really...c'mon people, I'm SICK!!!!




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gastroparesis, EDS & the Final Piece of the Jigsaw Part #3 / Cranio-cervical Instability!

Gastroparesis, EDS, & the final piece of the jigsaw #Part 2

Gastroparesis the Truth